"I always enjoy ‘Hail Mary’ as it’s awesome having the whole crowd singing it along with you."
8 January 2019
We caught up with Kris Barras ahead of his UK tour
1. Hi Kris, welcome to The Gig Cartel blog, how was your Christmas and end of year?
Not too bad, thank you! Pretty chilled really. We were recording in the studio right up until xmas, so it was nice to have a few days rest and hang out with family etc.
2. It's not long now until you head out on your headline tour, we're excited to be running four shows for you, what have you got planned for the gigs?
We’ve got a bunch of new, unreleased songs that we’re putting it to the set. Looking forward to getting those out there. Every tour we try to raise the bar and better ourselves from our previous tour. We’ve got a few things planned that will hopefully make sure that we continue to do just that!
3. Which songs have you been enjoying playing live most from Divine and Dirty?
I always enjoy ‘Hail Mary’ as it’s awesome having the whole crowd singing it along with you. ‘Watching Over Me’ is another one that I like to play live, it’s a song that means a lot to me.
4. It's been nearly a year since you released Divine and Dirty, the band seems to have picked up a lot of steam since the release. Has it been a wild rollercoaster ride since then?
Yeah it’s been crazy. Absolutely awesome though! We’ve had two great UK tours, with lots of sold out shows. Some great festival appearances, including the Blues Stage at Ramblin’ Man Fair, apparently we got the biggest crowd on that stage for the entire weekend, which is nuts! Also got to do a Live BBC Radio 2 session with Richard Madeley. That guy is a legend. I massively grateful for the opportunities that I’ve had and I have a feeling that 2019 is going to be just as crazy!
5. How goes recording for your new record?
It’s gone really well…I think! It was nice to record an album ‘properly’ as a signed artist. We had a whole month in the studio whereas with previous albums, I had to record in bits here and there, around work etc. We are pleased with how it has turned out, can’t wait to get it out there….although it’s release date is likely to be towards the end of the year.
6. Can fans expect to hear some of the new tracks at the shows in Feb?
Definitely. We will have 3 new, previously un-heard original tracks in there. So make sure you come along to hear them! I’ve been listening to fans’ requests, so we’ve got another two tracks in there that I got a lot of people asking for.
7. We loved your recent Led Zepplin cover, how did that come about? It seemed very natural and like everyone in the room was having a great time.
Well we wanted to do a live session video including some friends of ours and wanted to do something different for us. Rock and Roll was a song that I’ve sang in many a Karaoke bar ha ha. I also played it in covers bands for years. So it was nice to dig that one out of the vault and give it a fresh spin.
8. For people who are thinking about coming to see you for the first time in February what can they expect from the live show?
110% every time. I live to play live, it’s the only reason I do this. You’ll get high energy, passion and my heart on my sleeve. A little ‘Lucky 13’ pun there ha ha.
9. Thanks for taking the time to talk to us, we'll see you on the road soon!
Thanks for having me!
See Kris Barrs live on the road this February
7 Feb Manchester The Deaf Institute
8 Feb Newcastle The Cluny
14 Feb Leeds Brudenell
16 Feb Leek Foxlowe Arts Centre
For Tickets & Information please click HERE